19 June 2010

Etsy Shop Update

I'm so excited to be listing my first hand-set bezel pendant on my etsy store! It's so beautiful I might cry a little when I have to part with it, but I can't keep everything, can I? Here's how I set cabochons, for those of you who are interested...

Step One
After choosing the stone, I measure, cut and solder the bezel and beaded wire.


Step Two

A protective coating of flux is applied to everything, then I carefully set the pieces where they need to be, place little bits of solder around the seams, and solder with my trusty torch.


Step Three
I always stop here and test to make sure nothing has gone wonky and the stone still fits. A few strands of embroidery floss make it easy to pop the stone back out.


Step Four

All that gunk needs to get cleaned off, so I soak the whole thing in hot water with citric acid.
Then scrub!


Step Five
A pendant's just a paperweight if there's nothing to hang it from. I solder a piece of hollow square wire on the back for the chain.


Step Six, Seven, Eight...
Ok, I got way too excited and forgot to photograph the next few steps! Here's how it looked after being pickled again, filed, sanded, and oxidized. The last step is always the scariest, because if the bezel doesn't smooth down perfectly then the whole piece will be ruined. When that happens, I basically have to start over. Or, depending on my mood, cry a little and then eat a gallon of ice cream.


Success!
The bezel fits! Now I give it one last sanding to smooth out the tool marks, apply a protective coating of wax, and polish. Now, to make the chain, photograph, and list it on etsy!




1 comment: